What Are the Health Effects of 5G?
5G is rolling out, but with this new technology, many people are concerned about what the health effects of 5G may bring with increased EMF exposure. Discover what scientists are saying about how 5G may increase your EMF exposure and the health effects that may come as a result.
As the new 5G network rolls out across the world, many people have expressed concern about whether or not this new technology poses a greater health risk than current technologies.
WHAT IS 5G?
5G is the fifth generation of mobile technology, and it is designed to provide better connectivity and faster streaming, downloading, and browsing speeds for users. (1) Not only that, but 5G is said to be able to support a variety of revolutionary technological services, including autonomous transportation systems and vehicles, telesurgery, and more. (2)
WHAT IS REQUIRED FOR 5G ROLLOUT?
5G technology employs higher-frequency radio waves ranging between 0.6 and 24 gigahertz (GHz) and higher. (3) Because 5G uses higher-frequency bandwidths, it is effective only over short distances. This means that the 5G rollout will require the addition of several things, including new base stations (also known as small cells) potentially about every 10th to 20th house, and Multiple Input Multiple Output (MIMO) antennas. (3, 4)These devices will make it possible for the 5G wavelengths to travel within their ranges with both efficiency and speed.
WHAT ARE MILLIMETER WAVES?
One of the greatest concerns about 5G comes from the fact that this generation of mobile technology will operate in part via millimeter waves (mmWaves). (3) Millimeter waves are a type of high-frequency radio wave with frequencies between 24 to 300 GHz. (4) The reason this is concerning for so many people is because mmWaves have a shorter wavelength than normal radio waves, and some believe that they will be easier for the skin to absorb and thus cause health issues. In addition, mmWaves have never been used before in communications technology, and thus its health effect on humans is unknown. (5)
WILL 5G INSTALLATION INCREASE YOUR EMF EXPOSURE?
Although the implementation of the 5G network brings many potential benefits, many people are concerned that it will increase the amount of EMF exposure we all experience on a daily basis.
Arguments For 5G Installation
On one hand, some people suggest that the 5G rollout will not require as many new base stations as anticipated because 5G can run parallel to the base stations that are already installed for 2G, 3G, and 4G. As a result, the public will not experience a significant increase to EMF exposure compared to current exposure. In addition, some people debate that adding more base stations will not increase the received power and will thus not increase EMF exposure. (5) The reasoning for this is that the increased number of 5G stations would allow for a steady decrease of power (and thus EMF exposure) generated by each station. (5) Although 5G will require the installation of MIMO systems, some argue that the antennas used in such systems use very low power, which would actually reduce transmission power and EMF exposure levels. (4) Finally, many believe that 5G will not significantly increase our EMF exposure because the Federal Communications Commission (FCC) must approve all wireless devices (including the new 5G devices) to ensure that they do not exceed the allowable exposure limits of 1.6 watts per kilogram, as averaged over one ounce of human tissue. (6)
Arguments Against 5G Installation
On the other hand, others debate that installing the 5G network will substantially increase the amount of general exposure to radiofrequency EMFs from 2G, 3G, 4G, and Wi-Fi networks already in place. (7) Plus, because 5G will require the installation of more base stations that are closer to homes and closer together, it will be virtually impossible for people to avoid EMF exposure, which can be detrimental to health. (2) Not only that, but more than 230 scientists from 41 different countries have expressed “serious concerns” about the increased exposure to EMFs that will likely come from the electric and wireless devices used in the 5G rollout. (7) Finally, debaters on this side of the conversation state that the claim of having insufficient study results about the amount of EMF emissions from the 5G network is not a valid one, mainly because it is possible to take the new 5G features into account when performing studies and determining results. (5) Although both sides of the debate provide valid arguments, the truth of the matter is that there is inconclusive data about whether or not 5G is safe. Various scientists and companies back up both sides of the debate, and because 5G has already started to roll out across the globe, the only way we can know whether or not 5G increased EMF exposure is to compare previous networks with the changes that 5G brings. If you are worried about an increased exposure to EMFs, there is a way that you can protect yourself and your family. Our Halo Devices™ are the only devices that are scientifically shown to help reduce EMF exposure from 3G, 4G, and 5G frequencies. By getting your own Halo Device™, you can help minimize your EMF exposure at home, at work, or on the go.
WILL 5G AFFECT YOUR HEALTH?
The debate about the health effects of 5G is similar to that of whether or not 5G will increase your EMF exposure. The conversation is fairly divided between regulation agencies, telecommunications companies, researchers, and the public.
5G Presents a Variety of Health Concerns
For many people, the new 5G network poses a variety of health concerns, and they have strong arguments to support their concerns. Some of the main points of debate they present include:
- The exposure we may experience from new 5G base stations create a higher risk of specific tumors, including heart, brain, and adrenal gland tumors. (5)
- In the studies where scientists added real-life conditions to tests, there was a substantial increase in the adverse effects of wireless radiation. (8)
- Studies have shown that electromagnetic waves are transferred to the body when using mobile phones. These electromagnetic waves can cause a variety of health problems, particularly in the ear and skull region, and affect neurons. (9) 5G’s promise of faster speed and connectivity may result in an increased use of mobile devices, which could increase users’ chances of experiencing these effects.
- Studies on 2G, 3G, and 4G networks have shown several side effects from using mobile phones, including stress, brain damage, neuropsychiatric effects, sperm and testicular damage, fatigue, oedema, dizziness, cellular DNA damage, and more. (9) If the previous generations of mobile technology presented such side effects, it’s likely that 5G will do the same.
- The International Agency for Research on Cancer has indicated that radio frequency electromagnetic waves (including those used in 5G) are possibly carcinogenic. (2)
Another major concern about the health effects of 5G come from the fact that 5G will incorporate millimeter waves. This group of higher-frequency radio waves is specific to the 5G network and has limited studies regarding its safety to humans. With the studies available, however, results show that although higher frequencies associated with 5G (such as mmWaves) do not penetrate as deeply into the skin, their effects can be more systemic. In fact, some studies have reported that exposure to mmWaves produced oxidative stress, altered gene expression, systemic effects (particularly in the immune system), and skin effects. (1) A study in 2010 also showed that mmWaves may alter structural and functional properties of cell membranes. (3) Other studies show that the main effect that mmWaves can have on the human body is an increase of temperature, which can have hazardous effects on the eyes, skin, and head tissue. (4) While the FCC says that it is safe for the body to absorb a certain amount of radio waves, their standards are insufficient. The FCC says that the safe spectrum of radio waves is 30 to 300 megahertz (MHz); however, mmWaves are in a higher frequency range, between 24 and 300 GHz, so we really have no regulatory guidelines as to whether or not they are safe. (2)
5G Does Not Present Adverse Health Risks
On the other end of the debate, many people say that the new 5G network will not present health risks to humans. Some of their main points of debate include:
- There is not any or enough research on how mobile and other wireless devices cause local heat development on skin; we need more studies and research before being concerned. (10)
- In regards to the EMFs and radiation from mobile devices being potentially carcinogenic, the FCC states that they closely monitor all study results, and there is “currently no scientific evidence [that] establishes a causal link between wireless device use and cancer or other illnesses.” (6)
- Neither 4G nor 5G have been tested in real-life scenarios with credible circumstances and results. (8)
- Studies that resulted in tumor formation and other health effects used a level and duration of EMF and radiation exposure that is greater than what humans would experience, even with the highest level of cellphone use. In addition, tumors only developed in a few animals, and those results should not be directly transferred to humans. (11)
- The World Health Organization (WHO) has reviewed 25,000 articles over the last 30 years about health effects from electromagnetic fields, and they state that “current evidence does not confirm the existence of any health consequences from exposure to low-level electromagnetic fields.” (12)
In regards to mmWaves, some people debate that there are no studies with evidence that show low-intensity mmWaves present health hazards to people. (3) In response to the claim that mmWaves cause a heating of skin and tissue, many debate in opposition that mmWaves have a high reflection rate and dissipate in water, making it nonhazardous to skin or tissue. In fact, the first two layers of your skin are high in water content (15% to 40% in the epidermis and 70% to 80% in the dermis), which means that the majority of mmWaves get absorbed in the dermis and thus pose no risk to the tissue beneath. Not only that, but the blood flow in the skin can help diffuse the heat caused by mmWaves, ultimately minimizing any possible effects. (4)
PROTECTING YOURSELF FROM EMFS
Even with the debate about whether or not 5G will increase EMF exposure and associated health risks, it is hard to deny that many people experience a variety of negative side effects from mobile and wireless devices. Those who experience electromagnetic hypersensitivity report frequent headaches, sleep deprivation, and disruption of concentration, among other symptoms. 5G is a new technology, and while further studies are needed to determine its exact effects on human health, it’s always better to protect yourself from potential harm than to deal with the consequences later.
With our Halo Devices™, you can protect yourself and your family from the effects of EMF radiation. By reducing your EMF exposure, you can experience less headaches and fatigue, and greater energy, concentration, and so much more! So, get your Halo Device™ today, and start enjoying the benefits of a more EMF-free life, no matter what new technology comes out.