The Whats, Hows, and Whys of Structured Water
Structured water, also known as hexagonal water, refers to water molecules that are hexagonal in structure. This water is believed to possess the same benefits as water that has been untouched by humans. But is structured water all that it seems?
What Is It?
Structured water has also been referred to as magnetized or hexagonal water. It is claimed that this type of water is found naturally in mountain springs, glacier melt, and other sources of water that have been untouched by human processes. Because of its hexagon structure, structured water is believed to be healthier than regular water (1).
How Structured Water Is Made:
Some claim that regular water can be made into structured water by:
- Keeping water in bottles or containers that have certain gemstones.
- Using ultraviolet or infrared light to turn the water into structured water.
- Vortexing the water to magnetize it.
- Putting the water in sunlight or exposing it to other forms of natural heat.
Claimed Health Benefits
Structured water is believed to:
- Increase energy
- Aid with concentration
- Help improve memory
- Improve sleep
- Recharge the body
- Help with weight loss
- Boost immune system
- Detoxify the body
- Help you live longer
- Aid digestion
- Promote blood circulation
- Stabilize blood sugar
The evidence behind structured water is underwhelming. Reputable sources conclude it to be a marketing scam (2)(3)(4), and Healthline concludes that there are no reputable human studies to support the claims behind it (5). Some companies selling structured water cite a study done in 2013 (6). This study done on magnetized water found it to decrease glucose levels in the blood. This study also found it to help reduce blood and liver DNA damage in rats with artificially induced diabetes. Despite these favorable conclusions, this study was very small and was unable to be replicated in humans. It is also significant to note that Korea Clean System Co., a company that sells structured water, provided the water for the study and had a hand in its publication. Current scientific research counters most claims made by companies selling structured water:
- Chemical formula: The chemical formula for water is H2O. Companies selling structured water claim the formula to be H3O2. Healthline concludes that “a different chemical formula would indicate a different substance that chemists have not identified” (7).
- Hexagonal shape: Water molecules are in constant motion. Furthermore, when observed experimentally, hexagonal water clusters have exceptionally short timelines, which means that the molecules are constantly changing and cannot hold their shape. These bonds have a reforming timescale of around 200 femtoseconds (8) (9). This contradicts the claim that this structure is used naturally by the body. It also means that this structure is constantly changing (10).
- Magnetized water and altering composition: Magnetizing water has been scientifically proven to not alter hardness, pH, conductivity, nor general water composition (11).
While many companies claim to sell structured water, there is not much evidence supporting its benefits. However, as of November 2020, there are officially 961 primary research reports, and 249 secondary and tertiary research reports supporting the health benefits of hydrogen water. Learn more about hydrogen water. Stick to the science; stick to hydrogen water.