5 Aspects of Holistic Health and Wellness
When someone thinks about being healthy, odds are they mainly consider the physical aspect of it. But achieving optimal health and wellness involves more than just your physical body; it also involves your mind, spirit, emotions, and social life. In short, becoming your best self means focusing on your holistic health and wellness.
What Is Holistic Health and Wellness?
In today’s world, we have the benefit of being able to access medicine’s modern, life-saving advances. However, the practice of medicine today often focuses on simply taking care of physical symptoms instead of treating the cause of those symptoms or looking at other aspects of our health that may be contributing to the problem.
Holistic health is an ancient tradition that dates as far back as 5,000 years ago in ancient India and China. (1) It fell out of practice as modern medicine took over, but many people are starting to turn back to holistic health as an alternative or complementary treatment. Holistic medicine focuses on treating all aspects of an individual’s health, not just the physical. It often combines various practices at one time to help one achieve optimal health in every aspect. (2) Some of these alternative medicinal practices include herbalism, massage, acupuncture, yoga and meditation, nutrition, and general Western medicine. (2)
Holistic health is based on the law of nature that the whole is made up of interdependent parts that interact with each other and cannot be separated. (1) Humans are the same; we are each made up of various systems that are interdependent. When one part does not work at its best, it affects all other parts of your being. (1) Holistic health and wellness focuses on ensuring that each part is working at its best so that you, as a whole being, can experience your fullest, healthiest, and happiest life.
5 Aspects of Holistic Health
Achieving holistic health and wellness means combining all aspects of your health and working to ensure that each one is as healthy as possible. There are five main aspects to holistic health: physical, emotional, spiritual, mental, and social. Because each aspect of your health overlaps with the others, what happens to one can also affect another. By working to achieve optimal health in every aspect, you can experience a more enjoyable way of living.
Physical health is the first aspect of holistic health and wellness, mainly because it is what most people think of when considering health. Plus, your physical health manifests symptoms to tell you if you are healthy or not. These symptoms are often easier to identify and track than those that may be more abstract. (2)
- Get eight hours of restful sleep each night to help your body rest and repair itself
- Eat a well-balanced, nutrient-rich diet that is high in plant-based and organic foods
- Be physically active for at least 30 minutes each day
- Eat probiotic foods to help maintain a healthy gut
- Don’t smoke
- Have regular checkups with your doctor
- Limit your alcohol consumption
- Limit your intake of sugars, processed foods, and hydrogenated oils
- Drink two to three liters of water a day
One great way to help you achieve optimal health is to drink Echo Antioxidant Water™. Antioxidant Water™ is water that is infused with molecular hydrogen, one of nature’s most powerful antioxidants. Not only does molecular hydrogen help fight off free radicals and reduce oxidative stress, but it works as a selective antioxidant to target one of the most toxic free radicals: the hydroxyl radical. (6)
By targeting the hydroxyl radical and supporting your body’s natural efforts to reduce oxidative stress, molecular hydrogen can help reduce the side effects you may experience as a result of oxidative stress. Molecular hydrogen has been proven in over 1,000 studies to aid in 145 diseases, as well as other conditions and illnesses. It has been shown to improve diabetic conditions, promote better digestion, protect against cardiovascular disorders, and more. (7, 8, 9)
Want to add Antioxidant Water™ to your daily routine and experience its many benefits? It’s easy! At Synergy Science™, we have a variety of Echo Antioxidant Water™ Machines that you can use in your home and on the go. Check them out here!
Your emotional health refers to your everyday thoughts, emotions, and feelings and how well you handle them. Your emotions can have a big impact on your physical health if things are not balanced. Even if you feel happy, you may not be at your peak emotional health. You can work to achieve greater emotional health by practicing the following tips (2, 4, 10, 11):
- Participate in therapy when needed
- Recognize, highlight, and celebrate your good moments and accomplishments
- Practice stress-reducing habits and mindfulness to help you manage your daily emotions
- Record your thoughts and feelings in a journal
- Talk with someone you trust about what you are feeling
- Get outside for some fresh air and to reset your mind
- Keep a gratitude journal and review it often
- Practice self-forgiveness and show love to yourself and others
- Take time to unplug from electronics and the world around you
Improving your spiritual health does not mean that you need to be religious. Rather, your spiritual health focuses on connecting to your inner soul, as well as the world and people around you. (2) Try incorporating the following into your daily life to help improve your spiritual health (2, 3, 4, 12, 13):
- Spend time out in nature
- Practice your faith if you are religious
- Strive to increase your love for yourself and for others
- Meditate, even if it is just for a few minutes each day
- Explore your soul by asking questions like “Who am I?”, “What is my purpose?” and “What do I value most in life?”
- Travel to various places where you can interact and create new connections with people and places around the world
- Practice gratitude for your present circumstances
While your mental health is closely related to your emotional health, it is different in that it focuses on how your brain functions. Although each aspect of your health affects the others, your mental health typically overlaps with your emotional and physical health. Improving your mental health means improving your cognitive abilities, and there are a variety of ways you can do that, such as (2, 3, 4, 14, 15):
- Consume nutrient-dense foods with antioxidants and Omega-3s to support brain health
- Indulge in hobbies
- Avoid smoking, excessive drinking, and consuming recreational drugs
- Improve your gut health, which is directly linked to brain health
- Get seven to eight hours of consecutive sleep each night
- Stimulate your brain with activities such as reading, word puzzles, or math problems
- Learn new things
- Exercise regularly
- Limit the amount of television you watch
Want another way to boost your brain health? Drink Echo Antioxidant Water™ with infused molecular hydrogen. Molecular hydrogen has been shown to improve brain health and function in a variety of ways. One study found that drinking hydrogen-enriched water can improve brain energy and reduce inflammatory reactions, suggesting that it may help treat Alzheimer’s disease. (16) Another study found that molecular hydrogen can help improve age-related cognitive function. (17) If you want an easy way to help boost your mental health, add Echo Antioxidant Water™ to your daily routine.
Many people may not recognize or consider social health as something that contributes to their overall well-being, but research shows that the happiest people have deep connections with others. (2) Your social health involves your various interactions with people, including your family, friends, and community. (3) To help strengthen your social health, try practicing the following (2, 3, 4):
- Make time for in-person connections with others, even if it is just once a month
- Volunteer in local programs or organizations
- Make sure the time you spend with others is quality time
- Get involved with your local church
- Participate in community clubs
- Be involved with programs at your kids’ school
- Keep old friends, but also make new friends (go for quality, not quantity)
- Set boundaries for those who may bring toxic energy or increase stress in your life
- Don’t be afraid to walk away from a relationship that may be negatively affecting you and your health
- Visit new places
Take Charge of Your Health
Although holistic health and wellness may seem overwhelming with focusing on so many different aspects of your health, its goal is to help you achieve maximum well-being in every way. (1) By practicing ways to strengthen your physical, mental, emotional, social, and spiritual health, you accept more responsibility for your actions and choices. When you take charge of your health, you continue to move yourself towards greater wellness, happiness, and fulfillment each day.